Each group must have one chaperone per ten students. Chaperones must remain with student groups at all times. Chaperones must be 18 years or older. Any group without the proper number of chaperones will not be admitted to the museum.
Students should be dropped off at the main museum entrance and buses should proceed down Lelong Avenue to park. Buses should be ready to pick up their students approximately 90 minutes after the scheduled arrival time; this estimate includes time for the tour and a visit to the museum gift shop. Cell phone contact between teachers and bus drivers is highly recommended.
Currently, there are no facilities for eating school lunches in the museum. However, beautiful and historic City Park is a great place for picnic lunches.
Additionally, Cafe NOMA is open during regular museum hours for lunch. Please visit Cafe NOMA’s website for more information.
Prompt notification of your cancellation enables other groups to schedule a visit. If you need to cancel your reservation, please contact the Department of Interpretation and Audience Engagement immediately at (504) 658-4128.
Cameras without tripods or flashes are permitted in the permanent collection galleries. Video cameras are not permitted. No objects in special exhibition galleries or on loan may be photographed. Please ask the Front Desk for details.
Paying attention to these simple rules will help ensure that everyone’s visit to NOMA is a pleasant and enriching one:
- Works of art are fragile, so the oils, salts, and acids of our skin can damage the art. As our preservation partners, do not touch the art, walls, or cases.
- To prevent accidents, please walk in the museum and keep a safe distance of 3 feet between you and the art and display cases.
- Many people will be sharing the galleries with your group. To make sure everyone has a positive experience, please silence cell phones and keep voices low.
- Please leave the following prohibited items on the bus: lunch bags, book bags, large purses, food, drink, gum, pens, and markers.
Sculpture Garden Guidelines
Visiting the Sculpture Garden
School group visits to the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden should be arranged in advance. Contact the Department of Interpretation and Audience Engagement at email@example.com or 504-658-4128. Admission to the Sculpture Garden is free for students and chaperones.
Each group must have one chaperone per ten students. Chaperones must actively supervise student groups at all times. Chaperones must be 18 years or older. Unruly groups may be asked to leave.
Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Students should be dropped off at the front Sculpture Garden entrance on Dueling Oaks Drive and buses should proceed down Lelong Avenue to park. Buses should be ready to pick up their students approximately 60 minutes after the scheduled arrival time. Cell phone contact between teachers and bus drivers is highly recommended.
Please notify the Department of Interpretation and Audience Engagement at 504-658-4128 if your group will be delayed unexpectedly. We will do our best to accommodate your group.
- Stay with your group and chaperone. The Sculpture Garden and Museum are very large and it is easy to become separated.
- Stay on the pathways and mowed lawns for your safety as well as the safety of the sculptures and plants.
- Sculptures may be damaged by touching. Please refrain from touching all works except Travelin’ Light.
- Running, climbing, and horseplay are not allowed in the Sculpture Garden. It should be treated as an outdoor museum.
- Many varieties of plants, wildlife, and insects make their homes in the Sculpture Garden. Please do not disturb these valuable members of our ecosystem.
- Speak in a normal “inside” voice. Other visitors could be disturbed by shouting.
- Dispose of trash in proper receptacles.
- Leave backpacks, large purses, and other bulky objects at school or on the bus. These items could bump works of art and damage them.
- Food and drink may be enjoyed at one of City Park’s many dining locations. Picnicking is not allowed in the Sculpture Garden.
- Service dogs are welcomed, but pets are not allowed.