- This event has passed.
Japan Fest 2017 at NOMA
October 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Now in its 23rd year, the annual Japan Fest is the largest celebration of Japanese culture in the Gulf South. It’s a day to enjoy traditional dance groups, martial arts demonstrations, tours of our Japanese art collection, a fashion show, and much more, including Japanese food. Many visitors come to the festival in Japanese dress, wearing everything from traditional kimonos to Pokemon costumes.
Share your costume plans by tagging NOMA on social media (#JapanFest2017 ) or by commenting on our Facebook page. We will be watching!
Organized by NOMA, the Consulate General of Japan in Nashville and the Japan Club in New Orleans, the 2017 festival brings together more than 30 community groups and presenters. Among the participants are organizations dedicated to every aspect of Japanese culture: haiku, martial arts, bonsai, Zen meditation, the strategic board game of GO!, and much more.
Admission is free for NOMA members, $5 for the general public.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 10 am: Kaminari Taiko drummers
- 11 am: Eishin-Ryu Iaido Sword Drawing
- 12:30 pm: Welcoming remarks and Kaminari Taiko drummers
- 1 pm: Minyo Dance
- 2 pm: Lolita Fashion Show
- 4 pm: Kaminari Taiko drummers
- 1 pm: Japanese American Society of Northwest Florida (dance)
- 1:30 pm: Jujitsu Club of Southeastern Louisiana University
- 2 pm: Louisiana Karate Association
- 2:30 pm: Hakkoryu Shindokai Dojo
- 3 pm: New Orleans Bujinkan Dojo
- 3:30 pm: Shogun Martial Arts
FLOORS 1–3 AND TOURS
- All day: Samurai Suit Photo Op (Second Floor)
- 11 am and 2 pm: Japanese Garden Foundation Tour (Meet at the Japanese Garden Foundation table in the Italian Galleries)
- 11:30 and 2:30 pm: Kimono Dressing Demonstration (Second Floor)
- 12 pm, 1:30 pm, 3 pm: Guided Tour of the Japanese Gallery (Third Floor)
- 11:30 am: GNO Suzuki Forum
DAYLONG ACTIVITIES AND INFORMATION BOOTHS
FIRST FLOOR AND COURTYARD
- Japan Club of New Orleans
- Consulate General of Japan in Nashville
- New Orleans Haiku Society
- Silly Sweet Shop
- Kawaii NOLA
- NOLA Lolitas
- NOLA Kimekomi
- NOLA Aikido Japanese Garden Foundation
- New Orleans Chapter 97 Ikebana International
- Crane’s Nest Go Club | Learn to play GO!
- Twootie Tarte
- Japanese Antiques & Textiles
- Celestial Dragon Designs
- New Orleans Zen Temple | Meditation Room
- UNO – Japan | Study at Doshisha University
- Eva Vanrell | author of The Butterfly Crest
- Japan Society of New Orleans Samurai Suit Try-on
- Kimono Dressing Demonstrations
SCULPTURE GARDEN (ALL DAY ACTIVITIES)
- Japanese Weekend School | Crafts & Face Painting
- jetaaNOLA | Craft Activities
- NOMA Art on the Spot | Japanese Fan Design
- Sweet Supernova | A dance cover and cosplay group (performance time to be announced)
- Ajun Cajun | Sculpture Garden
- Café NOMA | Special Japanese Cuisine | First Floor
For the safety and comfort of all guests, as well as the artwork at NOMA:
- No masks are permitted.
- Accessories or weapons (ex: swords) greater than 2 feet in length will not be permitted.
- No sharp objects.
- Costume components cannot exceed or extend 2 feet in length from body.
- Please keep all costumes family friendly.
- Guests participating in the costume contest are still required to pay the $5 admission fee.
Other restrictions may apply at NOMA’s discretion. A check in room will be available for any items not in compliance. For questions regarding costumes please call 504.658.4143.