- This event has passed.
Bastille Day Fête
July 14 at 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Named the third best Bastille Day celebration in the world by Reuters.com, Bastille Day Fête celebrates the connection between Louisiana and France at the New Orleans Museum of Art. Now in its sixth year, the celebration will be bring a Gallic joie de vivre to the people of New Orleans.
Bastille Day Fête is presented by the Alliance Française of New Orleans, the Consulate General of France in Louisiana, the French-American Chamber of Commerce-Gulf Coast Chapter, and the New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation. The celebration provides an opportunity for French and American families to celebrate France’s national holiday and the strong French heritage of Louisiana.
Activities will take place indoors only and will include music and dancing with the local Bon Bon Vivant swing band, a cooking demonstration by Café NOMA, guided gallery visits of the French collections, numerous French-themed children’s activities and more. The event will also be an opportunity to say farewell to Consul General Grégor Trumel, who will leave his post in New Orleans this summer after three years of service. For a full list of Bastille Day celebrations in New Orleans, please visit bastilledaynola.com.
FREE to NOMA members, teens (13-19) and children under 7 | $5 admission for all others
- 6 – 7 pm: (Great Hall) Music by Bon Bon Vivant
- 6 – 7 pm: (Stern Auditorium) The Artful Palate Cooking Demo: “Farm to Table” with Café NOMA Culinary Curator and Napoleon House Executive Chef Chris Montero
- 6:30 – 7:30 pm: Docent-guided tour: Discovering 18th- and 19th-Century French Art at NOMA, meet in the elevator lobby of the second floor
- 7 pm: (Great Hall) Welcome by Grégor Trumel, Consul General of France in New Orleans
- 7:15 pm: (Great Hall) Can-can performance by Trixie Minx and friends
- 7:30 – 9 pm: (Stern Auditorium) Screenings of family-friendly French short films:
Neige (26 minutes, 2015)
Tigres à la queue leu leu (8 minutes, 2015)
La Petite pousse (9 minutes, 2015)
One, Two, Tree (7 minutes, 2014)
Le petit bal (3 min, 44 seconds, 1993)
A la française (7 minutes, 2012)
Le voyage dans la lune (16 minutes, 1902)
- 7:30 – 8:15 pm: Docent-guided tour: Exploring French Impressionism and Modern Art at NOMA, meet in the elevator lobby of the second floor
- 7:30 – 8:15 pm: (Great Hall) Music by Bon Bon Vivant
- 8:15 pm: (Great Hall) Can-can performance by Trixie Minx and friends
- 8:30 – 9 pm: (Great Hall) Music by Bon Bon Vivant
CHILDREN’S ACTIVITY SCHEDULE
- 5 – 8 pm: Art on the Spot á la française (first-floor elevator lobby): Create miniature replicas of the Eiffel Tower and French tricolor flags
- 6 – 8 pm (Grand Hall): French mime
- 6 – 9 pm (Grand Hall); Balloon twister
- 7 – 9 pm (First-floor elevator lobby): Caricaturist in French attire
- 6:30 – 7:30 pm (Second-floor Decorative Arts Gallery): Puppet show, “Mother Goose on the Loose”
- 6 – 7 pm (Front steps): Fire truck visit, symbolic of traditional Bastille Day celebrations in France centered upon fire stations