Website New Orleans Museum of Art
The New Orleans Museum of Art is currently accepting applications for the position of Preparator. The Preparator is a full-time position that works in the curatorial department and is responsible for all aspects of preparation, installation, transportation and maintenance for all artwork within the New Orleans Museum of Art’s (NOMA) collection.
- Assists the registrars, curators and conservators with artwork preparation, handling, shipping, packing, installation, and maintenance of the New Orleans Museum of Art’s collection, permanent installations, and special exhibitions
- Works collaboratively with various positions in the Curatorial division.
- Prepares artworks, didactics and signage for display
- Prepares artworks for storage when required
- Prepares and maintains exhibition casework, blocks, and mounts
- Participate in gallery wall moving, placement of end caps and baseboards
- Follows procedures to ensure safety of artwork and assists in general maintenance of the collection and art storage facilities
- Ensures the security of artwork and museum facilities for hurricanes /natural disasters as part of the Emergency Response Team.
- Monitor and maintain the condition and appearance of exhibits and permanent collection galleries
- May be required to act on behalf of NOMA to courier art to/from NOMA. This may require travel by car and/or plane and may include prolonged sitting or standing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts or related field from an accredited university is preferred; 3 years’ equivalent work experience will substitute for degree requirement
- Minimum of three years’ museum/gallery art handling experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in, or general knowledge of:
- Skilled in two or more areas of specialization such as framing, packing, mount making, audio visual equipment, lighting, carpentry, or handling of over-sized artwork (rigging)
- Knowledge or willingness to learn job-specific computerized systems.
- Use of power tools and job-specific specialized tools
- Museum best practices for handling and moving art
- Lighting standards in museum presentation
- Ability to work well with others and work within a collaborative team environment
- Significant stamina for physical activity. The ability to physically move and hold large and/or very heavy objects with care: lifting a range of items that may weigh 50 lbs. or more
- Requires the ability to stand for long periods of time