Website New Orleans Museum of Art
New Orleans Museum of Art is seeking applicants for the position of Museum Gallery Attendant (MGA)/Sculpture Garden Attendant (SGA), One full-time and one part-time position. The Museum Gallery/Sculpture Garden Attendant is a visitor service-oriented position that is responsible for safeguarding visitors, staff, volunteers, the collection and the physical facility. The Museum Gallery/Sculpture Garden Attendant is responsible for monitoring gallery spaces and protecting the art while engaging with the public to answer questions and provide information about NOMA. Museum Gallery/Sculpture Garden Attendants ensure a positive museum experience through exemplary customer service and education.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION EXAMPLES:
- Maintain posts as assigned to observe and engage and to ensure individuals are safe.
- Watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and unsecure doors or windows and areas to be secured.
- Serve as an advocate for the visitor while promoting the safety of the museum; communicate consistently with visitors to ensure a positive museum experience and assists visitors with use of museum educational resources and spaces.
- Interact with visitors in a positive and welcoming manner, including providing directions and information related to the Museum and Sculpture Garden collections, public programs and events
- Conduct gallery checks and perform opening and closing procedures; including inspection of the assigned galleries and surrounding areas to guarantee there are no safety or security issues or concerns.
- Enforce all museum policies in a friendly manner, ensures that all visitors entering the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest.
- Participate in daily briefings and attend regular training sessions for exhibitions, programming and other museum related events
- Remain informed and up-to date regarding artwork on view; enhance the visitor experience through engaging in conversation when appropriate.
- Maintain the highest level of professionalism in both behavior and appearance
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Experience with customer service and interest in the visual arts and museum work
- High School diploma or GED; college, technical school, or experience in a position requiring safety or protective work is helpful.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with visitors of all ages, abilities, and economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork; maintain calm and professional demeanor for all visitor interactions.
- First aid and CPR certification preferred; training will be provided.