Website New Orleans Museum of Art
The New Orleans Museum of Art is seeking applicants for the position of Maintenance Technician. The Maintenance Technician will perform overall maintenance to all areas of the Museum and is an integral member of the Facilities Team. The Maintenance Technician performs a variety of work in the maintenance and repair of the building and grounds of NOMA and the Besthoff Sculpture Garden including carpentry, minor electrical and plumbing, masonry, tile, plaster, painting, sheetrock, general equipment repairs, assembling and moving of office furniture, and daily inspections. This person is also responsible for assisting with the setup, monitoring, and take down of special events or functions, daily mail runs, and package deliveries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Carpentry- Performs basic rough and finish carpentry repairs to areas such as walls, doors, frames, office furniture, and shelving.
- Electrical- Performs basic repairs to outlets, switches, plate covers; and reporting unsafe electrical conditions to the building engineer and Facilities Manager.
- Plumbing- Performs basic plumbing repairs of leaking pipes, faucets, and clogged lines and drains.
- Masonry- Repair and replacement of loose or broken slate tiles, minor breaks of sidewalk and ramps, and caulking of masonry features of NOMA.
- Tile- Repair and replacement of marble and ceramic tiles throughout NOMA.
- Plaster- Minor repair and maintenance of plaster structures throughout NOMA.
- Painting- Applies and prepares various surfaces for paint, to include oil, latex, and stain.
- Responsible for collecting and bringing NOMA mail to various post offices, and retrieving NOMA mail from Post Office.
- Must be able to work in crowds of noisy people in a pressure situation, particularly when handling multiple tasks and continue to have a strong commitment to safety.
- Must be able to adjust work to accommodate expected and unexpected changes.
- Coordination with the Facilities Manager on tasks and projects for NOMA
- Responsible for general maintenance duties as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining all standards of service as it relates to museum standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise of NOMA’s policies and procedures and confidentiality guidelines.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends for special events or programs
- High school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent
- Two to four years’ experience in maintenance.
- Some computer skills
- Current Louisiana Drivers License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good listening and communication skills
- Good follow-through on daily assignments and projects
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good decision-making abilities
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Willing to work with staff
- Position requires significant movement and ascending and descending ladders and other equipment
- Ability to observe details at a close range
- Normal building environment, as well as outdoor work.
- May be subjected to fast-paced decision-making, crisis situations
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.