- This event has passed.
Artist’s Choice Film Series: Whatever Lola Wants
Sat, September 14th at 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Bodies of Knowledge brings together ten international contemporary artists to reflect on the role that language plays in archiving and asserting our cultural identities. In conjunction with this exhibition, NOMA will be screening movies selected by these artists that reflect their inspirations, interests, and ideals.
Artist’s Choice Film Series
- Saturday, June 29, 2 pm | Adriana Corral selects The Constant Gardener (2005 | Rated R | 2 hours, 8 minutes)
- Saturday, August 17, 2 pm | Manon Bellet selects La Jetée (1962 | Not rated | 28 minutes)
- Saturday, August 24, 3 pm | Garrett Bradley selects Sidewalk Stories (1989 | Rated R | 1 hour, 37 minutes)
- Saturday, September 14, 2 pm | Mahmoud Chouki selects Whatever Lola Wants (2007 | Not rated | 1 hour, 55 minutes)
- Saturday, October 5, 5 pm | Edward Spots selects Fame (1980 | Rated R | 2 hours, 14 minutes)
ABOUT WHATEVER LOLA WANTS
Whatever Lola Wants is a 2007 French-Canadian romantic drama directed by Nabil Avouch. The film stars Laura Ramnsey as Lola, an American postal worker who travels to Egypt to seek out a legendary belly dancer. Lola dreams of becoming a belly dancer. After a friend encourages her to perform at a local Moroccan restaurant, Lola captures the attentions of the handsome Zack. Lola follows after him, but is crushed to find that Zack is to marry someone of his family’s choosing. Lola decides to turn all of her energy into making her dreams a reality and tracks down Ismahan, a reclusive dancing star that retired due to a scandal involving a mysterious lover. Although reluctant, Ismahan is persuaded into giving Lola lessons and a friendship blossoms as a result.