The New Orleans Museum of Art is excited to present Art Inspires: Short Story Competition.
Every object in NOMA’s collection has multiple stories to tell. They include anecdotes about the artist, chronicles from the life of the object, and narratives about the subject or the media used to make the work of art. Every object also has the potential to inspire new tales. What stories can you imagine?
Gallery of Selected Works
- Look through the gallery of selected works of art from NOMA’s Decorative Arts Collection
- Choose one that inspires you.
- Write a short story featuring that work.
Submissions will be considered based on the inclusion of the featured object and overall creativity. Stories submitted to the competition should not exceed 1,000 words in length.
If you are age 19 or younger, then submit a story to the Youth Category.
If you are age 20 or older, then submit a story to the Adult Category.
To participate please fill out the contact form below and attach your story as a PDF document. Remember to select which age category you identify with. The deadline for submissions is by midnight on Thursday, May 21, 2020.
Judging and Prizes
A panel of judges consisting of NOMA staff members will determine three winning stories for each age category. Winning stories will be announced on Thursday, May 22, 2020, and all of the winning stories will be published on NOMA’s website.
Winners in the Youth Category will receive an assortment of fun prizes provided by the Museum Shop including journals, water bottles, and more!
Two winners in the Adult Category will receive free admissions passes to the museum, and one grand prize winner will receive a Friends and Family Membership to use for themselves or to give as a gift.
Membership benefits include:
- Free admission at all times open to the public for one additional adult, plus children or grandchildren
- Invitations to members-only preview receptions and special events
- Discounts on adult art classes and youth and family programs
- 10% discount in the Museum Shop
- Reciprocal membership benefits at numerous major art museums throughout the US and Canada. Click here for details
For a full list of benefits, please visit the membership page on NOMA’s website.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.