JOB SUMMARY: Under the leadership and guidance of the Visitor Experience Manager, the Volunteer and Administrative Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Visitor Experience Manager with day to day operations. The Volunteer and Administrative Coordinator is responsible for managing volunteers to assist with museum operations. They will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of museum’s mission, exhibitions, collection, and programming to effectively provide visitors with an exceptional experience. They will communicate accordingly with the Visitor Experience Manager to ensure visitor and volunteer needs are met.
SKILLS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Staff, train, and direct the work of Visitor Experience volunteers
- Coordinate recruitment, selection, and scheduling of volunteers for museum spaces and events as requested by other departments
- Assess and develop necessary training materials to ensure consistent knowledge of collection and exhibitions by Visitor Experience volunteers
- Actively maintain and update volunteer documents including volunteer manual
- Design and execute an objective method to collect feedback, recognize any issues or areas for improvement, and adjust volunteer program as needed
- Manage volunteer retention and recognition including the annual appreciation event
- Maintain automated phone system and answer visitor calls about hours, admission, directions, exhibitions, etc.
- Manage attendance tracking for internal and external reporting
- Actively maintains front desk visual and service standards
- Ability to learn, accurately operate and train Associates on both the Point of Sale and Customer Relationship Management, currently Quickbooks and Raiser’s Edge, transitioning to Tessitura in Winter 2020. This position will serve as a project team member in that transition.
- Provides support to Visitor Experience Associates as needed
- Assist in the development and collection of visitor feedback surveys
- Order and track department office supplies and helps to maintain copy room
- Assist with opening and distributing mail
- Provide exceptional visitor experience through interpersonal/customer service skills
- Assisting education with greeting school tours and tracking numbers as needed
- Assist with logging checks and processing memberships received from the front desk
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings
- Assist with cash drawers needs and donations boxes, ensuring accurate reporting and operational standards are maintained
- Assist with internal calendars as needed
- Communicate accordingly with Visitor Experience Manager concerning front of house operation and protocol
- Provide necessary support to all departments including programming, membership, special events and exhibitions to help ensure museum standards
- Perform project-based tasks as assigned by the Visitor Experience Manager which may include but is not limited to researching best museum practices and participating in cross-department meetings
- Communicate accordingly with the Visitor Experience Manager concerning front of house operation and protocol and proficiency making decisions when manager off site
- A Bachelor degree from an accredited university
- Experience with customer service and interest in the visual arts and museum work
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with visitors of all ages, abilities, and economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills and patience
- Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity, ethics and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, and support management decisions in a positive and professional manner.
- Capability to work independently as well as an integral part of a team
- Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve conflicts with tact
- Ability to work positively with colleagues, artists, the public, Board of Trustees, donors and volunteers.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time, walking, typing, talking, hearing and visual activity
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
Office environment, special events, front desk and offsite