Website New Orleans Museum of Art
JOB TITLE: Visitor Experience Team Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Manager of Visitor Experience
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
Under the leadership and guidance of the Visitor Experience Manager, the Visitor Experience Team Coordinator will ensure a positive museum experience through exemplary customer services and knowledge of the museum’s mission, exhibitions, collection, programming, and protocols. This position will oversee daily operations of the Visitor Experience Floor Leads and Gallery Attendants. The Team Coordinator works with the Visitor Experience Manager on staff training and scheduling. The Team Coordinator must have the ability to use diplomacy and exercise good judgement in difficult situations should they arise.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide exceptional visitor experience through excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Direct the work of the Visitor Experience Floor Lead and Gallery Attendants through training and management of the daily schedule, as detailed by the Manager of Visitor Experience.
- Assess and develop training materials to ensure consistent knowledge of collection and exhibitions (together with the VE Administrative Coordinator)
- Stay informed about upcoming programs and fundraising events, and on occasion assist with registration
- Schedule training on upcoming exhibitions for Gallery Attendants and Floor Leads.
- Together with Facilities Manager and Private Events Manager, ensure adequate floor coverage for programs and events. The Team Coordinator should be checking internal calendars and remain aware of events, programs, and exhibitions.
- Maintain a positive outlook and ability to think creatively and offer solutions.
- Respond to visitor complaints and/or requests for assistance and evaluate course of action
- Maintain museum visual and service standards and serve on cross-department committees as needed
- Watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and unsecured doors or windows and areas to be secured.
- Enforce all museum policies in a friendly manner, ensures that all visitors entering the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends
- Actively monitors staff and observes visitors, adjusting staff needs as necessary
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide floor support to Gallery Attendants, Visitor Experience Associates, and Museum Shop associates as needed
- Able to multi-task to execute necessary tasks to maintain consistent front of house operation
- Assist visitors with questions about City Park, transportation, and city events
- Write incident reports as needed for damages, accidents, or injury
- Perform project-based tasks as assigned by the Manager of Visitor Experience
- Takes admission and public program fees using a Point of Sale system when needed
- Assist with ticketing setup in Tessitura CRM as directed
- Assist with cash drawers needs and donations boxes, ensuring accurate reporting and operational standards are maintained
- Answers the telephone and fields calls to appropriate staff members
- A Bachelor degree from an accredited university
- 1-3 years of managerial or supervisory experience, preferably in a cultural institution
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with visitors of all ages, abilities, and economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork; maintain calm and professional demeanor for all visitor interactions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity, ethics and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, and support management decisions in a positive and professional manner.
- Some interest in art and art history. Willingness to remain current on Museum exhibitions, the NOMA permanent collection and programming with the ability to respond to visitor inquires.
- Capability to work independently as well as an integral part of a team
- Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve conflicts with tact and courtesy.
- Ability to work positively with colleagues, artists, the public, Board of Trustees, donors and volunteers.
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- Ability to be on one’s feet all day
- Position requires extensive physical mobility and must be able to patrol multi-gallery posts, standing during the entire shift and mobilize staff and visitors during emergency situations.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and by radio. Ability to work within a range of temperatures within indoor and outdoor environments.
- Pleasant working environment in a secure indoor setting, with occasional work in the outdoor setting of the Besthoff Sculpture Garden.
- Schedule is Wednesday–Sunday, 9 am–5 pm, with occasional evening work.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.