Website New Orleans Museum of Art
JOB SUMMARY: Under the leadership and guidance of the Visitor Experience Manager, the Visitor Experience Floor Lead will ensure a positive museum experience through exemplary customer services and knowledge of the museum’s mission, exhibitions, collection, programming, protocols, admissions rates, and shop merchandise. This position can staff all aspects of front-line experience- front desk, museum shop, and gallery attendant. The Floor Lead must have the ability to use diplomacy with difficult situations should they arise. They will execute tasks delegated by the Visitor Experience Team Coordinator to meet the expectations of the Manager of Visitor Experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide exceptional visitor experience through excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends
• Assists with general museum reception at the front desk
• Provides general information about the museum, exhibits and the community
• Takes admission and public program fees using a Point of Sale system
• Answers the telephone and fields calls to appropriate staff members
• Stay informed about upcoming programs and fundraising events, and on occasion assist with registration
• Maintain a positive outlook and ability to think creatively and offer solutions
• Handles membership renewals and request for updates
• Reports comments and feedback from visitors to the Visitor Experience commcrcoordinators
• Collect zip codes for visitor reporting
• Handles cash and related paper entries
• Maintain posts when assigned to observe and engage and to ensure individuals are safe.
• Watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and unsecured doors or windows and areas to be secured.
• Enforce all museum policies in a friendly manner, ensures that all visitors entering the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest.
• Assist in events check-in, including organizing and communicating with people in line.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Able to multi-task to execute necessary tasks to maintain consistent front of house operation
• Assist visitors with questions about City Park and the surrounding area as needed
• Arrange transportation for museum visitors as needed
• Stock supplies, visitor guides, or store merchandise as needed
• Write incident reports as needed for damages, accidents, or injury
• Perform project-based tasks as assigned by the Manager of Visitor Experience which may include but is not limited to researching best museum practices, performing visitor surveys, and participating in cross-department meetings
• High school diploma, bachelor’s degree preferred
• Experience with customer service and interest in the visual arts and museum work
• Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with visitors of all ages, abilities, and economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
• Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork; maintain calm and professional demeanor for all visitor interactions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to multi-task
• Strong interpersonal skills and patience.
• Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity, ethics and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, and support management decisions in a positive and professional manner.
• Some interest in art and art history. Willingness to remain current on Museum exhibitions, the NOMA permanent collection and programming with the ability to respond to visitor inquires.
• Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve conflicts with tact and courtesy.
• Ability to work positively with colleagues, artists, the public, Board of Trustees, donors and volunteers.
• Ability to lift 35 lbs
• Ability to be on one’s feet all day
• Position requires extensive physical mobility and must be able to patrol multi-gallery posts, standing during the entire shift and mobilize staff and visitors during emergency situations. Must be able to communicate verbally and by radio. Ability to work within a range of temperatures within indoor and outdoor environments.
• Pleasant working environment in a secure indoor setting, with occasional work in the outdoor setting of the Besthoff Sculpture Garden.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.