The Museum Gallery Attendant is a visitor service-oriented position that is responsible for safeguarding visitors, staff, volunteers, the collection and the physical facility. The Gallery Attendant is responsible for monitoring gallery spaces and protecting the art while engaging with the public to answer questions and provide information about NOMA. Museum Gallery Attendants ensure a positive museum experience through exemplary customer service and education. This is a full time position that can expect to work 35 hours per week, through the run of our upcoming special exhibition.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain posts as assigned to observe and engage and to ensure individuals are safe.
- Watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and unsecure doors or windows and areas to be secured.
- Serve as an advocate for the visitor while promoting the safety of the museum; communicate consistently with visitors to ensure a positive museum experience and assists visitors with use of museum educational resources and spaces.
- Interact with visitors in a positive and welcoming manner, including providing directions and information related to the Museum and Sculpture Garden collections, public programs and events
- Conduct gallery checks and perform opening and closing procedures; including inspection of the assigned galleries and surrounding areas to guarantee there are no safety or security issues or concerns.
- Enforce all museum policies in a friendly manner, ensures that all visitors entering the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest.
- Participate in daily briefings and attend regular training sessions for exhibitions, programming and other museum related events
- Remain informed and up-to date regarding artwork on view; enhance the visitor experience through engaging in conversation when appropriate.
- Maintain the highest level of professionalism in both behavior and appearance
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Ability to use computer-based technology, such as email, electronic calendar, timekeeping and payroll systems.
- Working extended hours during special events or emergencies, as assigned.
- Responsible to monitor third parties on site during set up and break down of special events.
- Write detailed reports for all incidents involving criminal acts, damages, accidents, or injury.
- Experience with customer service and interest in the visual arts and museum work
- High School diploma or GED; college, technical school, or experience in a position requiring safety or protective work is helpful.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with visitors of all ages, abilities, and economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork; maintain calm and professional demeanor for all visitor interactions.
- First aid and CPR certification preferred; training will be provided.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a museum environment, and enforcement procedures.
- Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity, ethics and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, and support management decisions in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to remain current on Museum exhibitions, the NOMA permanent collection and programming with the ability to respond to visitor inquires.
- Ability to exercise judgment as to the most appropriate approach to enforcement procedures.
- Must be able to understand and follow operating procedures.
- Capacity to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, information manuals, and instructions.
- Capability to work independently as well as an integral part of a team
- Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve conflicts with tact and courtesy.
- Attention to detail and the ability to stay alert.
- Ability to work positively with colleagues, artists, the public, Board of Trustees, donors and volunteers.
- This is an active position that requires the following physical activities:
- Walking through the galleries and ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Occasional lifting.
- Normal museum environment.
- Outdoor duty for long periods of time during hot summer months.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Due to limited staff we are unable to respond to calls or emails. We really appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in working at NOMA.