Website New Orleans Museum of Art
POSITION TITLE: MUSEUM EDUCATOR
REPORTS TO: Curator of Education/Assistant Curator of Education
FSLA: Part time/hourly
The New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) seeks to hire an energetic and motivated Museum Educator with experience in education to facilitate programs featuring the museum’s encyclopedic collection and renowned Besthoff Sculpture Garden. Museum Educators support NOMA’s Learning and Engagement staff in developing interactive opportunities for museum visitors to engage with the collection and changing exhibitions. As part of the school programs team, Museum Educators will provide service for NOMA’s signature Mini Masters arts-integration program for pre-school students as well as NOMA’s broader portfolio of school programs. Museum Educators will work closely with other Learning and Engagement team members to develop interactive interpretive programs and gallery learning materials and to deliver hands-on, arts-integrated lessons both in the museum and in the school setting.
WHAT IS MINI MASTERS?
Mini Masters is a multi-visit program serving a roster of partner schools who support economically vulnerable families in the New Orleans community. Mini Masters encourages students to develop higher order thinking skills, make observations, and engage in conversations through museum visits and classroom activities. The program is designed to build capacity of early childhood educators through professional development and lesson modeling that develops discussion routines, techniques for teaching the elements of art, and skills for creating art in the classroom.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Lead and assist students in execution of pre-planned art activities in the classroom
- Develop and lead themed, interactive tours of NOMA galleries and the Besthoff Sculpture Garden
- Assist with the coordination and logistics for scheduling visits with partner schools, delivering materials, and collecting student art
- Co-plan and facilitate instruction for a new early childhood education program in partnership with the New Orleans Public Library
- Collaborate with Learning and Engagement staff to plan and support public programs across audiences as necessary
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Coursework in areas such as Education, Early Childhood Development, Visual Arts, Arts Administration, Art History, or closely related career field.
- 2 years’ experience working with adults and young children in a learning environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills working directly with children and educators
- Work 15–20 hours per week, Monday-Friday (designated/varied days possible)
- Some evenings and weekends may be required