Website New Orleans Museum of Art
BRIEF JOB SUMMARY
The New Orleans Museum of Art seeks an experienced Collections Manager. The Collections Manager leads both long-range planning efforts and day-to-day activities relative to the care and stewardship of the permanent collection. Reporting to the Head Registrar, this position provides leadership relative to collections care, shaping and enforcing collections management policies that reflect the highest museum standards and best practices.
- Manages permanent collection and storage spaces
- Oversees the accessions process. Provides budget estimates related to yearly collections expenses and future needs
- Creates and maintains associated records, reports, and contracts in the associated database (currently MIMSY).
- Responsible for access to storage for the museum.
- Works with the Chief Preparator & conservators to construct proper housing and packing for local transport and storage
- Coordinates the photography of works in NOMA’s permanent collection
- Coordinates conservation of Permanent Collection works Facilitates access to the collection and provides information, responds to information requests.
- Maintains permanent collection object files
- Monitors environmental conditions ensuring proper temperature and humidity levels are maintained
- Collaborates with Facilities team on pest management system
- Participates on the NOMA Emergency Response Team
- Manages the rights and reproductions requests.
- Acquires copyright information for NOMA permanent collection items and publications.
- Acts on behalf of NOMA to courier art to/from NOMA by varying modes of transportation.
- Assists with other departmental tasks, as needed
Master’s degree in Arts Administration or related field from an accredited university and a minimum of three years experience in a museum or gallery. Experience working with rights requests, art handling, and knowledge of museum best practices. Must have a valid US driver’s license and reliable transportation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of rights and reproduction rules and protocol
- Art handling experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of relational databases (MIMSY), proficiency with Crystal reporting, Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as digital imaging software (Adobe Suite)
- Excellent organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Good time management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Position requires detailed work at close range; standing or sitting for extended periods of time; performing repetitive tasks for long periods of time; performing repetitive tasks for long periods of time; bending, stooping for short periods
- Occasional lifting up to 20-30 pounds.
- May be required to travel by car or plane to business events. Travel may be prolonged sitting or standing.
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.