Areas of Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Admissions Desk
- Art Making Activities
- Gift Shop
- Sculpture Garden
- Special Events
Some Benefits of Volunteering Include:
- Free admissions to NOMA
- Annual Luncheon
- Discount in Gift Shop
- Unique tours of Exhibits
- Opportunities to take part in Special Events
- And more . . .
NOMA Volunteer Committee
NVC Membership entitles you to:
- Three general meetings a year with informative speakers and light lunch
- Studio Salons
- Art Trips
- The opportunity to volunteer in our beautiful museum
NVC Volunteer Opportunities:
- Fund raising events including Art in Bloom, Home and Art Tour, LOVE in the Garden, etc.
- Education, such as becoming a docent/museum guide, art teacher assistant and more
- Visitor’s Services including admissions desk, NOMA gift shop, or sculpture garden
- General services such as flower arranging, gardening, mailing, clerical, art ambassadors etc.
- Hospitality including greeting committee or refreshments
NVC Dues January-December
Single Benefactor $35
Couple Benefactor $40
History of the Women’s Volunteer Committee of the New Orleans Museum of Art by Virgina Panno
I suppose it was all Edgar Degas’ fault. If he hadn’t stayed in New Orleans for a time, painted a “Portrait of Estelle,” his cousin, and sparked excitement for the painting among several New Orleans ladies, then the force that is now the Women’s Committee would likely never have come to be. Cementing their determination to raise the money to keep the portrait where it belonged, this “force to be” swept over the city in 1964 raising money sparking a new kind of enthusiasm in the community. Even grammar school children sent in dollar bills to help buy the “Portrait of Estelle.”
Then, at a meeting at the late Edith Stern’s home on an auspicious spring morning in 1965, a small group of women, including many of those involved in the successful purchase of Estelle, met and decided that if a group of determined ladies could generate this much excitement for one painting, who knows what they could do for a whole museum! And so, Mrs. Samuel Logan having gained the Museum Board’s blessing, the Women’s Committee was born. This group of twenty-five women decided to working for museum needs was officially accepted by the Delgado Board of Trustees as “Delgado Dames.” They were to become the Charter Members of the Women’s Volunteer Committee.
The first test of the “mettle” of the new group was the Art Auction in 1965, which raised an astounding $35,000! Then followed the first Odyssey Ball the next year. (What? A charity ball in New Orleans? A city of Carnival Balls! Who will ever go?) The excitement swirling around the museum was strong because 750 people came to the first Charity Ball in the city that anyone could remember. And it cleared an amazing $25,000!
To quote the popular commercial, “You’ve come a long way, baby!”
In addition to students in college, NOMA welcomes high school students to volunteer to meet their required service hours. Students must be 16 years of age or older. The opportunities for students change regularly depending on the needs of various departments and the number of students already enrolled to volunteer at NOMA. Students interested in volunteering should fill out the online application.
Volunteer Teen Camp Counselors
Like art and working with kids?
NOMA seeks enthusiastic, hard-working, creative teen volunteers to become art camp counselors. Volunteering in NOMA’s summer art camps provides teens with professional experience in an art classroom environment. Teens will not only learn more about art, but will also have the opportunity to discover different museum career opportunities and earn valuable community service experience.
Time commitments: June and/or July, Monday-Friday, from 8:45 am – 1:00 pm or 12:30 pm – 4:45 pm plus additional orientation day
- NOMA Volunteer application
- 2 letters of recommendation from teacher
- Must be age 16+
Teens will receive:
- Professional experience in a museum and art camp setting
- Exposure to museum careers
To be considered for a volunteer teen camp counselor position at NOMA, please complete this form and submit with two letters of recommendation from teachers.
Mail: P.O. Box 19123, New Orleans LA 70179
Calling All Volunteers! The Sculpture Garden needs you!
- Do you like working in a picturesque, serene, relaxing setting?
- Do you enjoy working outdoors?
- Do you want to help rescue the Sculpture Garden from the weeds and vines?
- Are you stuck indoors all week? Spend your Saturday out of doors in the peaceful Sculpture Garden!
If you have a few hours a week and don’t mind a little sweat, come join us for an early morning workout!
No experience necessary! Flexible scheduling!
Any size group is eligible to volunteer in the Sculpture Garden with two weeks notice!
Any questions? Contact: