Join us Friday night at NOMA on June 1 from 5pm to 9pm for Where Y’Art?!
- 5pm to 8pm: Art Making Activity
- 5:30p to 8:30pm: Music by DJ Kazoo
- 6pm to 8pm: Visiting Jewelry Artist in Museum Shop: Jessa Matthews
- 6pm: Lecture by Dario Robleto
- 7 – 7:15pm (following the lecture by Dario Robleto): A MelaNated Summer: Hear original works from the MelaNated Writers; a collective of writers of color in genres from fiction to screenwriting and memoir to poetry. While some of the MelaNated writers are originally from cities like San Francisco, Memphis, Cleveland and London, all currently call New Orleans home.
About Dario Robleto: The Prelives of the Blues
Over the course of his career Dario Robleto (born in 1972 in San Antonio, Texas) became internationally known for creating thoughtful sculptures comprised of unusual materials imbued with conceptual significance. His choices of artistic materials reflect an ongoing interest in the specifics of history and music and, at the same time, universal human longings common to all time periods. His past works have included dinosaur bones, wartime memorabilia such as bullets, letters, and hair wreaths, and carefully chosen melted vinyl records and audiotapes.
The exhibition Dario Robleto: The Prelives of the Blues will present an imaginative retracing of the transference of blues, jazz, and rock n' roll (genres with distinct African American roots) across time. The show will incorporate a selection of old and new works, including a new piece specifically inspired by New Orleans, geared to raise questions as to how musical taste is formed, and what it means for traditions and famous musical moments to be carried across generations.
Established in July 2010, MelaNated Writers Collective is a safe place for writers of color to hone their craft in a nurturing environment among their peers. Some members have M.F.A (Masters in Fine Arts) degrees. Some are in M.F.A. programs. Some are journalists. Some are communications professionals. Some work 9 to 5 jobs and write in their spare time, but all are in love with the written word, literature and creating innovative word masterpieces to share with the world. For more information visit melanola.com